My Lagos waka || A tour of Nike Art Gallery

 A  picture of the gallery (inside)


Happy new week everyone, It's the last week in January (I thought we just said happy new year like minutes ago!!!? .. I guess January just voomed past us like a car on a race) and I have decided to start a series on the blog called "my lagos waka  " ( this series would showcase my  waka / tour of  the city called  LAGOS). The first adventure of mine that I would be sharing would be my tour experience at Nike Art Gallery  with my blogger friend catchee  of catcheeinspired.com (she's an art Curator, writer / blogger and also an aspiring photographer)


The Nike art gallery is actually popular
because it's the biggest art gallery in West Africa ( I mean an art gallery with four floors of inspiring art works and unspoken words).  It is located at 2, Elegushi Rd, Lekki, Lagos.  It's a four - storey building that houses beautiful cultural and traditional pieces and from the entrance of the gallery you will find giant sculptures made from rubber tires, wood and steel.


At the main entrance of the gallery




Eyo art piece made from steel






The gallery might be taken for an art museum due to its huge collection of artwork that are well organised. In fact, most pieces were stacked and piled on each  other due to less space ( the gallery houses thousands of artwork) .


Note : pictures of artwork can't be taken



Sitting pretty on the adire couch


                   
The little detail I noticed was that everything in the gallery speaks art from their footmat (made from Ankara), to the lovely adire couch and adire attire of the staff and even their generator is an art piece.





The generator set



I was happy to have a chit chat with the owner of the gallery Chief (Mrs) Oyenike Okundaye fondly called MAMA NIKE. She is a painter, textile artist, and an art Curator as well. She has a warm personality and a laugh for everyone.



Me, Mama Nike and Catchee



Me and Mama Nike


The tour was exhilarating for me as I have discovered an arty side of me. Nike Art Gallery is a fresh breath of air to tourists attractions we have in lagos and it's the best place to spend quality time discovering art. Nike Art Gallery is entry free and it also has a nice cafe tucked in one corner to fill your empty tummies after the tour (that's not free sha o).


My tour partner catchee


During the tour I met  the Nigerian music artist Jesse King of the "BUGA" fame whom  I cracked up with my Foodie comments.



Me, Jesse King and catchee


All in all the tour was nice and if am asked the question of going again, my answer would be YES and YES.


Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed this post? Leave comments, subscribe ( hit the subscribe button on your screen and follow by email), share and stay tuned for my next adventure


XoXo...




Comments

  1. Would love to go on a tour with you soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be great , looking forward to that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would be great , looking forward to that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lifestyle || Bloggers cookout party at samanthas Bistro

My Lagos Waka || A tour of Lekki Arts Market and Nike Art Gallery ( Tips, Hacks and market finds)

EVENT || CREATIVITY AT SAO AND THE MUSE 3